Hold on a moment…
How adept are you are in producing God’s Fruit of Goodness? It’s something we can readily see in God’s Character, and it’s no stretch its something He seeks to develop in us. Saying Goodness is a desirable trait is one thing. But sayin’ ain’t doin’. Would you describe your interactions with people as supported and infused with unselfish Goodness to them? Your answer is not so important really – certainly less important than knowing Bible Ground means us to actively produce acts of Goodness. But truth is, sometimes we score and sometimes we should have never left the bench. So let’s focus the lens a little tighter; let’s seek instruction on what hinders God’s bountiful Goodness in you. And once you catch evidence of sulphur and destruction at work on your Goodness, we will battle evil with the Word of God. The Spiritual Warfare Series aims to help you understand and take responsibility for yourself. (Mash this link for foundational instruction Introduction to Spiritual Warfare)
The process of spiritual self-survey is over-rated as a difficulty. Bible ground on the process is straightforward: each individual needs to turn back to God, to seek His Face, to make a study of His Word, to routinely speak with Him in prayer, to make a practice of putting others first. Those who practice these things are arrayed against the active, intelligent, and malicious attentions of demonic forces. Yeah. That’s right, demons; creatures of a different order. Powerful creatures bent on the destruction of anything and anyone proclaiming Jesus is Lord. Their unabashed goal is to get people to curse God. Check out what Satan wanted Job to do: ( Here in Job 1:11 ) and here: ( in Job 2:5 )
Demons want to stop Believers from believing; they are expert at training people to rely on substitutes… those flabby indulgences we accept in lieu of the discipline and service of Bible Ground. The premise of our instruction is to identify enemy infiltration – places in our living where the nine Fruit of the Spirit become dulled or absent. Although consisting of nine characteristics, the Fruit of the Spirit is a singular term – Fruit. For us this underscores the nature of their interdependence. The nine are Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Gentleness, Faithfulness and Self-Control.
We face demonic influence when our we see evil fruit in ourselves; which in action and nobility are the opposite from the Fruit of the Spirit. The presence of these opposite fruit must be battled by increased knowledge and understanding about the Fruit being assaulted. Check out the summary texts and messages from the first five:
- The Opposite of LOVE = Treachery
- The Opposite of JOY = Misery
- The Opposite of PEACE = Anxiety
- The Opposite of PATIENCE = Temper
- The Opposite of KINDNESS = Indifference
Today we assess the fruit of Goodness. The Holy Spirit applies His Goodness to reflect God’s mercies unto others. Powerful and Authentic. Goodness has honesty at its root. It is not difficult to note the opposite fruit: it concerns the practice of lying.
The demonic weapon of lying aims to destroy the emergence of Goodness in your life. Now if you find lying among your practices then you must begin to grow in Goodness. But first we turn to seek Bible Ground about lying. Though by the way, the evil forces fussing with your immediate person don’t care if you having considered this topic before; or if you are versed in how deceit opposes goodness. They like it even better if you dismiss their existence. It’s a credit to their wicked craft when we do.
The best place to start is at the beginning. What does God think of lying? Not a tough question. The following verse is taken from the last sheet of the Bible. I have a sentimental notion about these Words, as with them The Lord Closes His Word. In this verse we find John enumerating those who are left outside the New Heaven and New Earth.
Key Bible Verse
Outside are the dogs and the sorcerers and the immoral persons and the murderers and the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices lying…
Note the presence of dogs (a whole teaching in itself, but certainly the Gentiles were considered “dogs” by the Jews) and the sorcerers (pharmacia, drugs) and the immoral persons (no boundaries) and the murderers (those who feel they are superior) and the idolaters (those who worship other things than the Almighty God) – BUT THEN. Notice what’s thrown in with those expressely evil traits. Liars …
So here I list eleven (11) traits or attributes of Deceit. Study them and then evaluate yourself for evidence of their worming. With this kind of stuff going on we could hardly be adept in producing God’s Fruit of Goodness.
Deceit acts like poison
- These who speak lies go astray from birth, they have venom like the venom of a serpent – Psalm 58:3b-4a
Deceit is treachery
- A truthful witness saves lives, But he who utters lies is treacherous
Deceit speaks from hatred
- A lying tongue hates those it crushes, And a flattering mouth works ruin
He who conceals hatred has lying lips
Deceit deceives the Deceitful
- You have eaten the fruit of lies… you have trusted in your way…
Deceit is an active passageway
- If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth – 1 John 1:6
Deceit is self-taught
- Everyone deceives his neighbor and does not speak the truth, they have taught their tongue to speak lies – Jeremiah 9:5
Deceit practices goodness
- But you smear with lies; you are all worthless physicians.. Job 13:4
Deceit loves attention
- With their wickedness they make the king glad, And the princes with their lies
Deceit fuels Wickedness
- A righteous man hates falsehood, but a wicked man acts disgustingly and shamefully
Deceit defies God
- But they deceived Him with their mouth and lied to Him with their tongue. For their heart was not steadfast toward Him, nor were they faithful in His covenant. – Psalm 78:36-37
Deceit has one source
- Whenever he (Satan) speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. – John 8:44
If you were asked if there is anything that God can’t do, you will now have the correct response: God cannot Lie
- God cannot lie – Titus 1:2
- It is impossible for God to lie – Hebrews 6:18
And from this Truth then, He speaks concerning His plans for those who lie:
- A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will not escape.
- A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will perish.
- You destroy those who speak falsehood; The Lord abhors the man of bloodshed and deceit
No escape. Okay, okay Pastor Bob. Let’s go with that. But it is so difficult to not to lie. What causes us to lie in the first place. Check out this verse:
- But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and so lie against the truth – James 3:14
This text explains the first self-indulgent motive for lying is: Bitter Jealousy. We notice and act emotionally about people having something we don’t, or not having something we have, or well… you get it. The second self-indulgent motive for lying is: Selfish Ambition. This means I will do what it takes to further my agenda, my worldview, my wants and desires. Too bad for you when conflict comes. These two impure engines are not benign. They writhe and bubble like ore in a blast furnace; coming together to weave the twisted and malignant presence of Arrogance. You lie because you CAN lie. You do it because there is nothing to stop you. You begin to like the “new” person you tell others about; the person you are inventing or protecting. Lying numbs your relationship to God. He becomes less real. If Ezekiel were your psychiatrist he would say you live convinced “the Lord will not see” Maybe not in so many words – but that’s the message God is picking up. I can do what I want. Take your time in your study of these elements of Deceit. And when you see things in yourself which evidence them, get cracking with your Bible. Don’t forget to put on your armor. Mash this link to review your equipment: Armor Up!
Lord bless you as you go. Thank you so much for reading this survey. We hope to have video accompaniment back in soon – I am just having difficulties getting it to work…