We all have a Mother and some of us are Mothers while others of us are not. But because God’s design – all Women have the power to birth, nurture and protect spiritual children. That’s why Mother’s Day at Restart is a celebration of all Women. We uplift the Name of God for what He has done in His revealing His tender and powerful Nature through the gift of Womanhood to the world
So how do we choose a Mother’s Day message? There are so many wonderful women of the Bible demonstrating the full spectrum of wisdom, understanding and courage so part of a Woman’s make up!
- Eve First Woman
- Sarah: Mother of the Jewish Nation
- Rachel: Wife of Jacob and Mother of Joseph
- Jochebed: Mother of Moses
- Miriam: Sister of Moses
- Rahab: Professional Woman and an unlikely Ancestor of Jesus
- Deborah: Influential Female Judge
- Delilah: Bad Influence on Samson
- Ruth: Virtuous Ancestor of Jesus
- Hannah: Mother of Samuel – 2 weeks ago women’s group – Maranda
- Bathsheba: Mother of Solomon
- Mary: Mother of Jesus
- Elizabeth: Mother of John the Baptist
- Martha: Accomplished Sister of Lazarus
- Mary Immature Sister of Lazarus
- Lois grandmother of Timothy
- Unnamed Woman who perfumed His body for burial – “Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her…”
Then too, maybe we should work through the Proverbs 31 Woman whom Solomon details for us. Here are just six of the attributes we could explore:
- She is a devoted wife
- She is a diligent partner
- She is spiritually fit
- She is a servant to the needy
- She is a dependable mother
- She is a doctrinally oriented woman
Instead, when I asked the Mighty God to send His breath from the Four Winds and to Breath upon me – I discovered a very interesting parallel between the roles and impacts of Women in the Bible and the roles and impacts found in the Work of the Holy Spirit. Now we’re not going to start a new church over this and I am not saying Women are the Holy Spirit. What I am saying that it would be foolish to overlook word-pictures and activities similar between them.
Women Minister as the Spirit
Check out these three verses. In the first two verse notice the word helper. In the first, the word can be translated “help meet.” The word means to aid, to assist. In the second verse Helper means to plead, to advocate, to intercede. Whoa. Now to anyone involved in counseling families in domestic duress – these traits most often evidence themselves among women – not so much among the men. This is not to say they are exclusive to women – but in my practice, mostly so. The third verse is a word picture Jesus uses which clearly ties the work of the Spirit with the act of childbirth… just another pointer which launched this Mother’s Day instruction.
- Then the Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper suitable for him.” – Genesis 2:18
- But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you – John 16:7
- Unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God – John 3:5
So let’s run with this idea that the roles and impacts of how Women minister are quite in keeping with the roles and impacts of how the Holy Spirit Ministers. The question quickly becomes what roles must we attend to as Women. What are the activities of the Spirit that we must attend to?
First, Know the Word
The Women of Restart must first be well versed in the Bible. We must study and meditate, ingest and digest the Very Word of God. Notice how Christ shows this is a Ministry Truth about the Holy Spirit:
- But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate) the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you – John 14:16
The Spirit of God has the role and impact of bringing to remembrance what Christ said. We need be ready to Remind those in our circle of influence. Not the spirit of dominance – which weaker men complain of in a woman. She is not being dominate when she reminds of the Truth. It is not spiritual abuse – (which incidentally is the currency of weaker men) – But reminders of what the Word says. by way of reminder. But in order to remind we must know the Word
Second, Live courageously in speaking Truth
The Spirit of God is submissive – but not in the way many weak men would like to see in women. This next verse is what it means to be submissive:
- But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak – John 14:13
But There is no mention here of becoming a doormat. The role is to speak truth from what you hear; to guide into all truth; and not your own truth – but speaking of what you hear from God. This takes guts – especially when you are standing on the Truth in the face of being unpopular… When living in uncomfortable circumstance. Wow – I have met many courageous women at Restart. Just let me say thank you.
Third, Shun seeking credit or glory
The role and impact of the Spirit is to focus on Christ – and not seeking credit or glory. This is the stuff of humility:
- He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you – John 16:14
This is hard – and one reason is that frankly ladies then men in your life can be lazy and unattentive – slow to offer encouragement. Slow to – dare I say it? – Slow to LISTEN. (and there you have peak at my Father’s Day message – men, LISTEN) But overall recognition for serving others is rare in our society. But the need to be recognized is not rare, but a core part of of who we all are. So this, then becomes a jumping off point for seeking credit when our role is to glorify God.
Fourth, Convict your world concerning sin, righteousness and judgement
The Women of Restart must follow the lead of the Spirit of God as He convicts the world of three things…
- And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment… – John 16:8
“Concerning sin, because they do not believe in Me” Note that Christ does not say HOW but that it must be done. He says BECAUSE. But in what way is convicting your world of sin tied “they do not believe in Me?” Permit me to offer this remark. Your circle of influence will know they are without excuse because your belief shines light on their disbelief – disbelief is sin. You will convict your world of sin because of your belief.
“Concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father and you no longer see Me ” Again, note that Christ does not say HOW but that it must be done. He says BECAUSE. So how does Jesus going to the Father and being taken from your sight empower you to convict your world concerning righteousness? Permit to offer this remark: Your circle of influence will understand unrighteousness because Christ makes you righteous. In leaving earth He gifted you with the Holy Spirit – who cleanses you. You “have become the righteousness of God in Christ” And that will be the impact you have on those about you – the contrast they see in you. You will convict your world concerning righteousness as you live righteously
“Concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world has been judged” Once again no word of HOW – but only that it needs done. But how does the devil being judged help you to convict the world around you concerning judgement? Permit me to offer this remark: Your circle of influence will see your fearlessness in the Faith because you know the devil is already powerless! Don’t you admire the solid standing of women – especially as they grow older. They KNOW the devil has no teeth. This is the place you are growing into. You can feel the struggle, you feel the emotion, the stress of life – but you know, you absolutely KNOW God’s GOT YOUR BACK. Cool, huh?
As you can see these four roles point to how we must act to invoke the outworkings of the Holy Spirit. But what if we took just a moment to find a verse which describes the characteristics of the Spirit Himself? Who is He – what are His constituent characteristics – what is true of Him. Then, once we gather this data – we then possess a ruler, a yardstick, to self assess and see if we as women are growing in these characteristics and reflecting them to our world? Sound cool? Let’s do it!
The Seven Spirits of God
Yes. There are seven Spirits of God. But not as in the Holy Spirit is seven Spirits. But that the Holy Spirit is Himself a Spirit – and that He possesses six other traits, characteristics (or spirits) which help us to understand and emulate Him. Check this verse out from Revelation. And then we will take the second verse below and run with it.
- And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God – Revelation 4:7
- The Spirit of the Lord will rest on Him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and strength, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord. – Isaiah 11:2
The “Him” mentioned in our verse in Isaiah refers to the Messiah. To the Coming One, the Anointed One. Jesus possess six “spirits” or characteristics. Let’s unpack that back.
The First Two
The first two are the spirit of wisdom and the spirit of understanding, These are our first two yardsticks to measure ourselves by. How are you in wisdom? How are you in understanding? How do we as women hold and grow in these? How do I get more?
- The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding – Proverbs 9:10
It remains for us to attend to these roles to these characteristics of the Spirit. We must fear, respect, reverence the Lord – if you consider God in your choices – your choices will be wise! Then too, when you make a priority of learning more about Him you will gain understanding – your application of wisdom.
The Second Two
The spirit of counsel and the spirit of strength. Let’s look at the first of this pairing. What does it mean to have a spirit of counsel? It means talking to people because there is “wisdom in many counselors.” But one note of caution: WHO are you talking to – are you taking your own counsel?
- “Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool – Isaiah 1:1
To be steeped in the spirit of counsel – is to be practiced in talking with God. He bids you to come and reason with Him. Speak with Him before you speak to others. Seek His counsel before seeking the advice of others – this will keep you free from that thing called gossip. Cool huh? What about the second of this pair?
The spirit of strength. How are we to be strong? What are the keys for us to gain strength?
- Be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might – Ephesians 6:10
Be strong in what? In the Lord – not relying on your own might, your own power – but His onl. Here’s where we go wrong – we turn to our feelings; to what we think is right. There is only one source of strength – the Lord. Our gain of this “spirit” is found in being strong IN the Lord – to immerse yourself in Him.
The Third Two
The spirit of knowledge and the spirit of the fear of the Lord. Do you notice the tie between wisdom and understanding (above) and knowledge and fear listed here? Lets begin with a look at knowledge. Just what is it that you and I are to KNOW when life hands us lemons?
- Cease striving and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth – Psalm 46:10
What is the thing we are instructed to know? What knowledge are we to attain to? To KNOW that God is God – You are not God – those about you are not God, the people you rely on – they are not God. Note that He will be exalted among the nations and in the earth. This speaks to me of the popular ideas and intentions coming from society. Knowing God is to act contrary to what the world tells you. The spirit of knowledge is to let God be God – to trust and obey – to serve and believe. Now what about our last attribute or spirit of the Most High God?
The spirit of the fear of the Lord. Now I’m aware that many of our English translation use the word “Reverence” instead of fear. And most certainly we are to be respectful and honoring. This is most necessary. But I would ask that you and I look at fear as the Psalmist does…
- My flesh trembles for fear of You, and I am afraid of Your judgments – Psalm 119:120
Just think – if you were really aware that God disapproves of something – how likely are you to do it? If your flesh is trembling and you are fearful of displeasing God – truly fearful – how differently you would live.
The Spirit of God breathes upon you today. The Breath of God is called from the four winds (Ezekiel 37:4-9). You have – most excellent Restart Woman – the sensitivities and intentions found in the Holy Spirit of the Most High God. You share, to a significant extent, His character, His gifts, His inclinations and intuitions. Go then today and get alone to reflect over these points of instruction. Self-assess to see how you are doing in these areas – to see what kind of Fruit you bear. And may the Lord Bless You as You Go!
- Be versed in the Bible
- Live courageously in speaking Truth
- Shun seeking credit or glory
- Convict your world concerning sin, righteousness and judgement
- The Spirit of Wisdom and The Spirit of Understanding
- The Spirit of Counsel and The Spirit of Strength
- The Spirit of Knowledge and The Spirit of Fear of the Lord