The Power in Purity of Heart
This then is at the heart of this, our sixth of the nine Beatitudes. The power and life-changing potential behind this statement: Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God. I offer this verse from Proverbs as we travel the Jesus Path together as we consider this Beatitude.
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it. Proverbs 4:23
Jesus said blessed are the pure in heart. The word pure has note of washing, of cleansing, of taking what is dirty and filthy and scrubbing it clean and fresh. The way this verse is worded makes it clear that…
The heart needs cleansing
- The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it – Jeremiah 17:9 KJV
- Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me – Psalm 51:10
- I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh – Ezekiel 36:26
We have a renewed heart in an un-renewed body
The body wants you to do what you want – to be immodest, to indulge in selfish thoughts and behaviors. The Spirit is there to prompt and contain these urges. This is why I harp on routine, daily Bible Study – that your Spirit will remain strong enough to fight carnal impulses.
- For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want – Galatians 5:17
- Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak – Mark 14:38 KJV
There is an inner and an outer heart
What do i mean by that – well the outer heart is what I call the religious heart – the heart that goes through the motions of faith, the heart that prompts us to look good before others. With all the difficulties in life, look what the Pharisees complained about to Jesus concerning His disciples, note too His reply
- Why do Thy disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they wash not their hands when they eat bread – Matthew 15:2
- And the Lord said unto him, Now do ye Pharisees make clean the outside of the cup and the platter; but your inward part is full of ravening and wickedness – Luke 11:39 KJV
We must be intentional to become pure in heart
The heart is renewed – by study in the Word, by intentional times of prayer, and by service to others. We need to mindful to pray daily to be strengthened in the inner man by the Power of the Holy Spirit.
- Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day – 2 Corinthians 4:16
- God grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man – Ephesians 3:16 KJV
For they shall see God
This promise, this fruit of becoming attentive and proactive in maintaining a pure is heart – this promise is mind-blowing. So let’s examine four thoughts about what it means to see God.
To see God is to have an increased understanding about Him
When your heart is pure your understanding about God will grow in two ways. First you will grow in Grace – the unmerited favor He offers and which governs our relationship with Him – You will grow in Grace and secondly you will grow in knowledge. Fear of the lord is the beginning of wisdom and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding – the blessing of a pure heart is an increased understanding of about God. But we must search for God with a whole heart.
- Grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ – 2 Peter 3:18
- You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart – Jeremiah 29:13
To see God is to see Him all around us
You’re going to observe His majesty, His awesome power, His revelation of Himself in other things. Refresh and purify your heart and you will See God in the things around you.
- The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge – Psalm 19:1-2
- For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made – Romans 1:20
To see God is to see how He views people
God wants an eternal personal relationship with all people.
- The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise… instead He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance – 2 Peter 3:9
But there is a hidden rebuff here. Why does it say He is patient with you – what in this context need He be patient about? What we slow about doing? The answer is seeing people as He does, that we are slow to do our part to help people come to repentance – that we are reluctant to be a light wherever we go – to be a sweet aroma
- But thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and manifests through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Him in every place – 2 Corinthians 2:14 NASB
To see God is to see Him face to face throughout Eternity
There will come a time when we will stand before God; fully cleansed; fully pure.
- For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known – 2 Corinthians 13:12
- But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is – 1 John 3:2
- Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb – Revelation 19:9
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. Isn’t this where you want to be? To see God, to sense His Presence, to please Him, to be freed from slavish obedience to immodesty and indulgence. The Lord Jesus tells us the key to a pure heart is to scrub daily by Bible study, prayer and service to others. Thank you for taking time to read this, I trust the video will be helpful as well. Lord Bless You as You Go!