The Third Beatitude
Welcome to Restart Church. We continue today in our study of the Sermon on the Mount. Today we examine “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.” We apologize, but there is no video today.
Meek Does Not Mean Weak
This third beatitude is rich with meaning. But first we must get our terms right. No question that Christ is correctly described as meek; but check out these references; nothing weak or mild about them!
- In the temple courts He found people selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So He made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple courts, both sheep and cattle; He scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables – John 2:14-15
- Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes – Matthew 11:20-21
- Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites… – Matthew 23:13-29 (repeated 6 times)
So just what is Meek? Most certainly is speaks of service to others, to reducing yourself and making others more important than yourself…
Meek is related to lowliness
- Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls – Matthew 11:29
- Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love – Ephesians 4:2
- By the humility and gentleness of Christ, I appeal to you… 2 Corinthians 10:1
- Slander no one, to be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward everyone – Titus 3:2
Meekness is sourced in the Word of God
- The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek… – Isaiah 61:1
- Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you – James 1:21
- For the Lord taketh pleasure in His people: He will beautify the meek with salvation – Psalm 129:4
Meek is reflected to others
- Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves – Philippians 2:3
- The greatest among you will be your servant. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted – Matthew 23:11-12
- Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom He promised those who love Him? – James 2:5
The Reward for the Meek
For they shall inherit the earth
Now the fate of the earth – the physical planet is clear:
- But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up – 2 Peter 3:10
- Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away – Revelation 21:1
So certainly the meek will gain their inheritance in heaven. But what of this earth… right here, right now? When we think of inheritance, what comes to mind? I would suggest we normally think of something of value, to make one wealthy. So God in this verse wants us to inherit something of great value. And what is something of the greatest value of all? – One Human Life! The inheritance of the meek is to take on the mission and purpose of Christ Himself – to become humble and serve others.
- The Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve – Matthew 20:28
- For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost – Luke 19:10
The blessing of conforming to the characterization of “Meek” is to inherit the earth – peopled as it is with the lost and unrighteous. Please contact Pastor Bob, and I will be happy to expand on any of these points. – 406-351-0809. Lord Bless you as you go.